When it comes to choosing the perfect fabric for your wingback chair, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. The most crucial factor is the material that best suits your needs and lifestyle.
Some of the best fabric for wing back chairs include leather, microfiber, linen, flowers, trade Berber, and many more.
This blog post will discuss the different types of fabrics available and help you choose the right one for your home!
About Wing Back Chairs
What is Wingback Chair?
A wingback chair is an armchair with “wings” attached to the back of the chair, which are often used as a headrest.
It has rounded armrests that fit against the side of your body and back support for leaning back to rest your head against the high-backed seat cushioning.
They are also often made with wood arms, called bun rests, instead of padded arms.
They were first introduced in the early 18th century and have since become a popular choice for many homes.
What is Upholstery?
Upholstery is a type of fabric that is often used to cover furniture. You can use it to protect the furniture from being damaged, and it also looks nice.
Technically, upholster refers to the insertion of cushioning material into voids in furniture seat cushions. Upholstered pieces can also mean padding around another object to provide protection or for stylistic reasons.
People often use lots of new upholstery in furniture. They don’t want it to get dirty and need a place for people to sit.
Some couches have padding to make them softer. If someone sits on the sofa, they will feel less of the springs under them.
Fabric for Wing Back Chairs
Wingback chair fabric ideas are a great way to keep your home fresh.
The most important thing you need to know when it comes to wingback chair upholstery is that there are plenty of different options for you.
This means that you can find suitable material to make it happen no matter what type of look or feel you’re going for.
Are you looking for a durable, stain-resistant fabric? Or maybe something softer and more luxurious?
So whether you want something more modern or traditional, with this guide, we hope to help point you in the direction of some good choices.
Wing Chair Upholstery Ideas
If you are looking for upholstery ideas for your wingback chairs, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- First, you will want to choose a durable and easy fabric to care for.
- Second, you will want to consider the style of your home and choose a fabric that compliments it.
- And last, you will want to choose a fabric within your budget.
With these things in mind, you should be able to find the perfect fabric for your wingback chairs.
Best Fabric for Wingback Chairs
The best fabric for wingback chairs will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
For example, if you have pets or small children, you might want to choose a durable fabric that can withstand spills and stains.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a luxurious feel, you might prefer a softer fabric like velvet or silk.
Here are a few of our favorite fabrics for wingback chairs:
- Durable Fabrics: Leather, Microfiber, Denim
- Soft Fabrics: Velvet, Silk, Chenille
- Printed Fabrics: Floral, Geometric, Animal Print
- Solid Fabrics: Linen, Cotton, Wool
Each of these fabrics has unique benefits you should consider before making your final decision.
Leather is a classic choice for wingback chairs and other upholstered furniture. It is durable and stylish, making it a popular choice for many homes.
The only downside of leather is that it can be pretty expensive.
Microfiber is a synthetic fabric that is known for its ability to resist stains and wrinkles. It is also a very affordable option, making it an excellent choice for families on a budget.
Denim is a sturdy fabric that withstands a lot of wear and tear. It is also easy to care for, making it a good choice for busy families.
The only downside of denim is that it is not as soft or luxurious as some other fabrics.
Velvet is a luxurious fabric that adds a touch of elegance to any room. However, it is essential to note that velvet is not as durable as some other fabrics and may require more care and cleaning.
Silk is a beautiful, luxurious fabric that adds a touch of elegance to any room. However, it is essential to note that silk is not as durable as some other fabrics and may require more care and cleaning.
Chenille is a soft, luxurious fabric that is perfect for adding a touch of comfort to your home. However, it is essential to note that the chenille is not as durable as some other fabrics and may require more care and cleaning.
Floral prints are a popular choice for wingback chairs and other upholstered furniture. They add a touch of beauty and elegance to any room. However, it is essential to note that floral prints can be quite delicate and may require more care and cleaning.
Geometric prints are a stylish choice for upholstered furniture. They add a touch of style and sophistication to any room. However, it is essential to note that geometric prints can be quite delicate and may require more care and cleaning.
Animal prints are a fun and unique choice for upholstered furniture. They add a touch of personality and style to any room. However, it is essential to note that animal prints can be quite delicate and may require more care and cleaning.
Cotton is a popular choice for wingback chairs because it is a durable fabric that is easy to care for.
The drawbacks of cotton are that it can wrinkle easily and is not as stain-resistant as some other fabrics.
Linen is another durable fabric that is perfect for wingback chairs. It is slightly more expensive than cotton but well worth the investment.
Linen is known for resisting wrinkles and stains, making it a low-maintenance option for busy families.
Wool is a luxurious fabric that is perfect for adding a touch of elegance to your home.
However, it is essential to note that wool is not as durable as some other fabrics and may require more care and cleaning.
When choosing the suitable fabric for your wingback chairs, it is crucial to consider your needs and preferences.
How to Reupholster a Chair
Materials and Tools needed for reupholstering chairs
- Upholstery textile
- Upholstery staples
- Scissors and a staple remover
- Wood glue
- Needle and thread (optional)
Upholstering the Chairs
- Make sure the chair is securely attached to the base, and then remove it from the frame by unscrewing or prying off any fixtures holding it together.
- Use a staple remover, pliers, or wire cutters to remove the old staples. Typically, these are located along the edges and beneath them on a wooden frame.
- Apply wood glue to all areas where you’ll add new staples or needle and thread work. This will help hold everything together so that the seat cushion doesn’t get out of place when you sit in them.
- If your wingback chair has a lot of extra fabric, you may need to trim it to be more manageable. You can do this with scissors, but be careful not to cut into the actual upholstery material.
- Cut out a piece of new fabric that will be large enough to cover the entire seat. This will be your main piece.
- If you’re using a patterned fabric choice, make sure the pattern is facing the right way before you begin stapling it.
Tips for Choosing Best Material
- For a more modern look, consider using a bright color like red or yellow.
- Gray color with subtle pinstripes is an excellent choice for something more modern, but be sure to keep it upholstered in some way.
- If you want to use velvet with a lot of texture, make sure the chair is also quite textured. This will help to balance everything out.
- When choosing a fabric, be sure to consider the other colors and textures that are already present in the room. This will help to create a more cohesive look overall.
- If you have a busy or eclectic decor scheme, using a solid color for your wingback chair can be a great way to ground everything and add a sense of calm.
- Be sure to test out the fabric in the room where you will place it, as different lighting can significantly impact it. It might look quite different depending on whether or not you’re able to test it out at night time with only artificial light, for example.
- A wingback chair with slipcovers is easy to change whenever you feel like it, and this can offer a bit of an opportunity to experiment with different patterns and textiles.
- Add Pillows. Don’t be afraid to add some pillows for extra comfort and style. This is a great way to add some wall color or pattern and can also help make the chair feel more attractive in interior design.
- If you have family members or pets who like to jump on furniture in your living space, choosing a more durable fabric like leather or denim might be a good idea. This will help protect the chair and keep it looking nice for longer.
- If you live in a warmer climate, be sure to avoid materials that might trap heat and make the room feel uncomfortable. This includes things like velvet or suede.
- Reupholstering the arms and wings. If you have a wingback chair with arms and wings, the fabric will need to be added after you reupholster everything. You can find instructions and videos online that will help guide you along.
- Add fabric to the chair’s back and arms. It can be a great addition if your wingback chair doesn’t have any on the back or arms. This can give the chair a more finished look, and it also helps protect the wood from being damaged.
- If you have a wingback chair with arms, remove them before beginning. This will make it easier to add extra fabric if needed.
Best Upholstery Fabrics for Homes with Kids and Pets
- Trade Berber – This is a medium-priced material with a long pile perfect for homes with pets and kids. It wears well, but it’s also soft and pliable.
- Saxony – Another plush textile, the Saxony is an excellent choice for people who want something more refined or understated than what most upholstery durable materials offer.
- Distressed Leather – This leather can be soft or stiff, depending on your chosen finish. It’s not as durable as other options, but this can work in your favor because it will wear well over time and look better with age.
- Sunbrella – If you need to upholster patio furniture, Sunbrella is an excellent choice. It’s highly durable and designed specifically to withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Ultra-Hide – Choose this upholstery material for a neutral but still unique look that will work well in just about every house room. The color is warm, slightly yellow, and made from 100% recycled materials.
How much fabric do I need for a wingback chair?
This will depend on the size of your chair and how much coverage you want. Generally, you’ll need about two yards of fabric if you make an uncomplicated recovery.
What is the easiest way to reupholster a wingback chair?
If you’re making a simple recovery, the easiest way is to remove the old fabric and staple on the new one. You can find instructions and videos online that will help guide you along.
What material is best for recovering chairs?
There are a variety of materials you can use, but some of the most popular include trade Berber, Saxony, and distressed leather. It depends on your personal preference and the look you’re going for.
Tell me the best fabric for your sofa?
We would recommend a synthetic blend like Sunbrella for all your outdoor needs or Ultra-Hide for a versatile and neutral material that will work in any house room.
What is the difference between upholstery and padding?
Upholstery typically refers to the decorative fabrics used to cover furniture, while the padding is the material used to make the table more comfortable.
Can I use a patterned fabric for my pink wingback chair?
Yes, you can use a pattern for your wingback chair if the design is facing the right way.
How do I choose the best upholstery fabric for my sofa?
When choosing the best upholstery material for your sofa, you should consider durability, color, and pattern. Some great high-end options with a long lifespan include Saxony and Trade Berber.