ASICS offers a variety of running shoes to meet the needs of different runners. Some of the most popular types of ASICS running shoes include Gel-Kayano, Gel-Cumulus, Gel-Nimbus, and Gel-Excite.
Each type is designed to provide specific features and benefits, such as stability, cushioning, and support.
Understanding Asics Running Shoes
When it comes to choosing the right Asics running shoes, it can be overwhelming with so many different models and lines to choose from. Here are some key things to keep in mind when selecting the perfect pair for you:
- Anima Sana In Corpore Sano (ASICS): Asics is a Japanese brand that was founded in 1949 with the philosophy of “Anima Sana In Corpore Sano,” which translates to “a sound mind in a sound body.” Asics has been making quality running shoes for decades and is a trusted brand among runners.
- Different Models: Asics has a variety of running shoe models, each designed for different types of runners. Some of the most popular models include the Kayano, Nimbus, Cumulus, GT-2000, and Dynaflyte. Each model has its unique features, so it’s important to understand what you need in a running shoe before choosing a specific model.
- Pronation: Pronation refers to the way your foot rolls when you run. Asics offers running shoes for neutral runners, overpronators, and underpronators. It’s important to know your pronation type before selecting a running shoe to ensure you get the right support and cushioning.
- Cushioning: Asics running shoes offer different levels of cushioning, from minimal to maximum. Consider what type of surface you’ll be running on and how much cushioning you need to protect your feet and joints.
- Fit: A proper fit is crucial when it comes to running shoes. Asics offers different widths to accommodate different foot shapes, so be sure to try on different sizes and widths to find the perfect fit.
By considering these factors, you can select the right Asics running shoes for your needs and preferences. Remember to prioritize comfort and support to prevent injury and ensure an enjoyable running experience.
Different Models of Asics Shoes
Each model is designed to provide specific benefits and cater to different needs.
The Gel-Kayano series is designed for runners who need extra support and stability. These shoes feature Asics’ signature Gel cushioning technology in the forefoot and rearfoot to absorb shock and provide a comfortable ride. The latest model, Gel-Kayano 28, has a redesigned upper that provides a more secure fit and improved breathability.
The Gel-Nimbus series is designed for runners who need extra cushioning and comfort. The latest model, Gel-Nimbus 25, has a new engineered mesh upper that provides a more breathable and comfortable fit.
The latest model, Gel-Cumulus 25, has a new engineered mesh upper that provides a more breathable and comfortable fit.
These shoes feature Asics’ Dynamic DuoMax Support System to provide extra stability and support. The latest model, GT-2000 10, has a new engineered mesh upper that provides a more breathable and comfortable fit.
The Metaspeed series is designed for runners who want to improve their speed and performance. These shoes feature Asics’ carbon plate technology and a new midsole foam that provides a more responsive and efficient ride.
These shoes feature Asics’ FlyteFoam Blast midsole foam that provides a soft and bouncy ride. The latest model, Novablast 3, has a new engineered mesh upper that provides a more breathable and comfortable fit.
Asics also offers other popular models such as the Gel-Venture and GT-1000 series, which cater to different types of runners.
Cushioning and Comfort
Here are some of the cushioning technologies you may come across:
- Gel Cushioning System: This system uses gel pods in the heel and forefoot to absorb shock and provide cushioning. The gel pods are strategically placed to enhance comfort and reduce the risk of injury.
- FlyteFoam Technology: This technology uses a lightweight foam material that provides excellent cushioning and support. It is highly responsive, which means it quickly bounces back to its original shape after impact.
- FF Blast™ Plus: This technology is used in the Asics Gel-Nimbus 23 and provides a highly cushioned ride. It is designed to absorb shock and provide a smooth transition from heel to toe.
- Soft and Cushioned: Some Asics models are designed to be highly cushioned and soft. These shoes provide a plush ride that is perfect for long runs or recovery days.
Lightweight and Stability
If you’re looking for a lightweight shoe that still offers stability, ASICS has several models to choose from. These models use advanced cushioning and support technologies to keep your feet comfortable and stable throughout your run.
- FlyteFoam technology: ASICS uses FlyteFoam technology in many of its lightweight shoes. This foam is 55% lighter than standard EVA foam, but still provides excellent cushioning and support.
- Trusstic System: This technology helps reduce the weight of the sole unit while still maintaining structural integrity and support.
- Guidance Line: This vertical flex groove in the sole helps guide your foot through the gait cycle, improving stability and reducing the risk of injury.
- Gel cushioning: ASICS uses gel cushioning in many of its shoes to absorb shock and reduce the impact on your joints.
The Gel-Kayano features FlyteFoam technology and a Dynamic DuoMax support system to help correct overpronation. Another great option is the ASICS GT-2000, which also has FlyteFoam cushioning and a Trusstic System for added support.
Foot Support and Pronation
Pronation is the natural inward rolling of the foot when it strikes the ground. Overpronation occurs when the foot rolls too far inward, while supination (or underpronation) is when the foot rolls outward.
- Neutral Runners: If you have a neutral pronation, you don’t need a lot of extra support in your shoes. Look for shoes with good cushioning to help absorb shock and protect your feet.
- Overpronators: If you overpronate, you need shoes that provide extra support to help prevent your foot from rolling too far inward. Look for shoes with a firm midsole and a medial post to help control your foot motion.
- Supinators: If you supinate, you need shoes that provide extra cushioning and flexibility to help absorb shock and support your foot. Look for shoes with a softer midsole and a curved shape to help encourage a more natural foot motion.
- Best for Stability: For runners who need extra stability and support, motion control shoes are the way to go. These shoes have a firm midsole, maximum arch support, and a high heel drop to help control foot motion and prevent overpronation.
Remember, the best way to determine your pronation type is through gait analysis. If you’re not sure what type of shoes you need, visit a specialty running store or talk to a podiatrist or physical therapist for advice.
Material and Durability
Asics uses high-quality materials to ensure that their shoes can withstand the wear and tear of running.
- Outsole: The outsole is the bottom part of the shoe that comes into contact with the ground. Asics uses durable rubber outsoles that provide excellent traction and grip. Some models also feature AHAR (Asics High Abrasion Rubber) in high-wear areas for even more durability.
- Heel: The heel is another area that takes a lot of impact when running. Asics uses GEL cushioning in the heel of many of their shoes to absorb shock and reduce the risk of injury.
- Upper: The upper is the part of the shoe that covers your foot. Asics uses a variety of materials for the upper, including mesh, synthetic leather, and recycled materials. Many models feature seamless uppers that reduce the risk of irritation and blisters.
- Recycled materials: Asics is committed to sustainability and has started incorporating recycled materials into some of their shoes. For example, the Gel-Cumulus 25 uses recycled materials in the upper, sockliner, and heel counter.
Fit and Breathability
When it comes to running shoes, fit is crucial. It’s important to note that different Asics models may fit differently, so it’s always a good idea to try on a few different pairs before making a purchase.
In addition to fit, breathability is also an important factor to consider. Asics running shoes typically feature a mesh upper, which helps to increase breathability and keep your feet cool and dry during your runs. This is especially important if you plan on running in hot or humid conditions.
Overall, Asics running shoes are designed with both fit and breathability in mind, ensuring that you can perform at your best without any discomfort or overheating.
Energy Return and Efficiency
- FlyteFoam technology: Asics uses FlyteFoam technology in some of its running shoes. This technology is designed to provide responsive cushioning, which means that it returns energy to your feet as you run. This results in a more efficient and comfortable run.
- GEL cushioning: Asics also uses GEL cushioning in some of its running shoes. This technology is designed to absorb shock and reduce the impact on your feet. This results in a more comfortable and efficient run.
- Propulsion Trusstic technology: Asics uses Propulsion Trusstic technology in some of its running shoes. This technology is designed to enhance your natural gait and provide a more propulsive toe-off. This results in a more efficient and powerful run.
- Metaclutch technology: Asics uses Metaclutch technology in some of its running shoes. This technology is designed to provide a secure and comfortable fit around your heel. This results in a more efficient and stable run.
Running Style and Shoe Type
- Neutral Running Shoes: These shoes are ideal for runners who don’t overpronate. They are typically lighter, feature a lower heel drop, and provide most of the cushioning in the heel.
- Trail Running Shoes: These shoes are designed for off-road running and provide better traction, stability, and durability on uneven terrain. They are usually more rugged and have a thicker sole than road running shoes.
- Racing Shoes: These shoes are designed for speed and are typically lighter and more flexible than other types of running shoes. They are perfect for short distances and races.
- Basketball Shoes: ASICS also offers a range of basketball shoes designed for optimal performance on the court. These shoes are designed to provide excellent traction, support, and cushioning for quick cuts, jumps, and sprints.
Asics running shoes come with a variety of special features that make them stand out from the competition. Here are some of the most noteworthy features:
- Impact Guidance System (IGS): This technology helps guide your foot through its natural gait cycle, from heel strike to toe-off, resulting in a smoother and more efficient stride. (source)
- FlyteFoam: This lightweight foam provides excellent cushioning and bounce-back, making it ideal for long-distance running. (source)
- FlyteFoam Blast Turbo: This newer version of FlyteFoam provides even more cushioning and energy return, making it perfect for runners who want a little extra spring in their step. (source)
- LITETRUSS: This carbon fiber plate is embedded in the midsole of some Asics models, providing added stability and support during your run. (source)
- 4D Guidance System™: This technology is designed to enhance your natural gait cycle and provide added stability and support. (source)
- V1 Technology: This technology is designed to reduce the weight of the shoe while still providing excellent support and cushioning. (source)
If you purchased your shoes online, you can start the return process by clicking here and following the instructions to print the applicable Asics return shipping label.
It’s important to note that there is a separate process for returns of Asics store-purchased merchandise that is being returned online. If you have any questions about the return process, you can contact Asics customer service for assistance.
Once Asics receives your return, they will inspect the shoes to ensure they are in their original condition. If the shoes are not in their original condition, Asics may not be able to accept the return or may charge a restocking fee. If you are returning your shoes because they are defective, Asics may provide a full refund or exchange, depending on the circumstances.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do the numbers on ASICS shoes mean?
The numbers on ASICS shoes refer to the model number of the shoe. The first number indicates the series, while the second number indicates the version. For example, the Gel-Kayano 29 is the 29th version of the Gel-Kayano series.
Which ASICS model is the most comfortable?
Comfort is subjective and varies from person to person. However, some of the most comfortable ASICS running shoe models include Gel-Nimbus, Gel-Kayano Lite, and Gel-Cumulus.
What are the new ASICS running shoe models for 2023?
ASICS releases new running shoe models every year, and 2023 is no exception. Some of the new models for 2023 include Gel-Kayano 30, Gel-Nimbus 24, and Gel-Cumulus 25.