Home generators are becoming more popular as homeowners look for ways to ensure they have backup power in case of a blackout or other power outage. However, many people are unsure of who installs home generators. In this article, we will provide some information on who installs home generators and what you should look for in an installer.
A home generator is a device that provides power to your home in the event of a power outage. It is usually powered by either natural gas or propane and is installed outside of your home. When your home loses power, the generator will automatically turn on and provide power to your home until the power is restored.
There are several types of companies that install home generators. Some of the most common include:
1. Generator manufacturers: Many generator manufacturers offer installation services for their products. This is often a good option as they are familiar with their own products and can provide you with the best installation service possible.
2. Electricians: Many electricians are qualified to install home generators. They will often work with generator manufacturers to ensure that the installation is done properly.
3. Specialized generator installation companies: There are also companies that specialize in installing home generators. These companies have a lot of experience and expertise in this area and can provide you with a high-quality installation.
How long does it take to install a home generator?
The installation time will depend on the size and complexity of the generator. A small generator can usually be installed in a day or two, while a larger generator may take several days.
Do I need a permit to install a home generator?
In most cases, you will need a permit to install a home generator. Your installer should be able to help you obtain the necessary permits.
How much does it cost to install a home generator?
The cost of installation will depend on the size and complexity of the generator, as well as the installer you choose. You should expect to pay between $3,000 and $7,000 for installation.
How often do I need to have my home generator serviced?
Your generator should be serviced once a year to ensure that it is running properly.
How loud is a home generator?
A home generator can be quite loud, depending on its size and location. Your installer will be able to advise you on the best location for your generator to minimize noise.
Can I install a home generator myself?
It is not recommended that you install a home generator yourself. This is a complex job that should be left to the professionals.
How long will a home generator last?
A well-maintained home generator can last up to 20 years.
Will my home generator increase my property value?
Yes, a home generator can increase your property value. Many home buyers see a generator as a valuable addition to a home.
There are many benefits to installing a home generator, including:
- Peace of mind during power outages
- Protection of your home’s electrical systems
- Increased property value
- Cost savings over time compared to alternative power sources
When choosing an installer for your home generator, be sure to:
- Choose a qualified and experienced installer
- Check references and reviews
- Make sure the installer is licensed and insured
- Get a written estimate before starting the installation
If you are considering installing a home generator, it is important to choose a qualified and experienced installer. You should also be aware of the costs of installation and maintenance, as well as the benefits of having a generator. By following these tips, you can ensure that your home generator is installed properly and will provide you with reliable backup power for years to come.