A cotton dress is the perfect article of clothing for engaging in a little hands-on creativity with the family! Here are five reasons why a white cotton dress is the best candidate for tie-dyeing:
- Cotton is a natural fiber that dyes easily.
- Cotton is soft and comfortable to wear.
- A white dress provides a blank canvas for your dye masterpiece.
- Cotton is affordable.
- Cotton dresses are easy to find!
Tie-dyeing is a fun activity for the whole family, and it’s easier than you might think. All you need is a white cotton dress, some fabric dye, rubber bands, and a little bit of imagination.
Follow these simple instructions, and you’ll be on your way to creating a beautiful piece of wearable art:
- Pre-wash your dress to remove any impurities that may interfere with the dyeing process. This will also help set the color of your finished product.
- Fill several buckets or containers with water of different temperatures. Add your fabric dye to each bucket according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Wet your dress in one of the containers of water, then wring it out until it’s damp but not dripping wet.
- Begin tying rubber bands around the dress at different intervals. The tighter you wrap the rubber bands, the more defined the final pattern will be.
- Dip the Rubber Banded Dress into each bucket of dye, being careful not to let any areas touch that you don’t want to dye.
- Remove the dress from the dye and rinse it in cool water until the water runs clear.
- Gently remove the rubber bands and hang you’re newly tie-dyed dress up to dry completely
There’s nothing like a freshly tie-dyed dress to show off your inner artist! Follow these simple steps using a white cotton dress as your blank canvas, and you’ll have a beautiful new piece of clothing to enjoy in no time flat. Happy tie-dying!