Regardless of the weather, all adventures take socks. When you love outdoor activities, having the right pair of wool socks, such as Darn Tough, is critical to ultimate comfort and success.
To wash your Darn Tough wool socks, you need to machine wash them in warm water on a gentle cycle with the socks inside out.
In this blog post, I’ll give tips on how to wash these socks correctly – so let’s get started!
About Darn Tough Socks
Darn Tough wool socks are a popular choice among outdoor enthusiasts and anyone looking for a high-quality, durable sock. These socks are made with a unique blend of merino wool, nylon, and spandex, which provides a perfect balance of warmth, comfort, and durability.
The merino wool used in Darn Tough socks is high-quality, soft, itch-free, naturally moisture-wicking, odor-resistant, and temperature-regulating. This means that your feet will stay warm and dry in cold weather and cool and dry in warm weather.
The nylon fibers are durable, resistant to abrasion, and help keep the sock’s shape, while the spandex fibers provide stretch and support, ensuring a perfect fit and maximum comfort.
How to Wash Darn Tough Wool Socks
Step 1 – Read the Care Label
Before you do anything else, it is essential to read the care label on your socks. The information on the label states as follows:
- Wash in warm water
- Machine wash on a gentle cycle
- Inside out
- Tumble dry on low or hang dry
- Do not bleach
- Do not dry clean
Step 2 – Preparing the Socks
- Sort your Darn Tough wool socks by color and level of soiling.
- Turn the socks inside out before placing them in the washing machine. This will help protect the wool fibers from any potential damage.
Step 3 – Washing the Socks
- Use a gentle detergent formulated explicitly for wool or a mild, all-purpose detergent. Avoid using detergents that contain bleach or harsh chemicals.
- Set the washing machine to warm water and use the gentle cycle.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove the socks from the washing machine.
Step 4 – Drying the Socks
- Tumble dry on low heat or hang dry. Avoid high heat, as it can shrink or damage the wool fibers.
- Once the socks are dry, fold them and store them in a cool place.
Step 5 – Maintaining the Socks
- Do not dry clean your Darn Tough wool socks. The chemicals used in dry cleaning can damage the wool fibers and strip away the natural oils that help keep the socks soft and comfortable.
Tips for Maintaining the Quality of Your Socks
- Wash after every use. Always clean your socks after each use, just like any other socks. Cleaning them regularly is not a problem if you follow the instructions above.
- Rotate, rotate, rotate! To ensure your socks last longer, it’s important to rotate them regularly. Wearing a different pair daily will add variety to your wardrobe and extend the life of all those cozy pairs in your drawer.
- Keep them fresh. Give your wool socks a naturally-derived added kick of freshness by sprinkling baking soda into the wash or using an odor-fighting shoe deodorizer. With its natural resistance to smells, wool is ready for fresher feet – you need to give it that extra edge!
- Dry with care. To ensure the longevity of your wool socks, it is best practice to air-dry them on a flat surface or clothesline – tossing them into the dryer can cause irreparable damage due to shrinkage and weakened fibers.
- Store them properly. Keep your socks in a cool, dry place when you’re not wearing them. Humid or damp areas can cause mildew to develop and damage the fabric of your socks.
- Follow the care instructions. To keep your Darn Tough wool socks in premium condition, adhere to their specified care instructions. Doing so will ensure you get the most out of your purchase and enjoy a long-term relationship with these incredible products!
By following these simple steps and tips, you’ll be able to keep your Darn Tough wool socks in tip-top shape. So you can continue enjoying all the benefits of these high-quality socks.
Can these wool socks be hand washed in cold water?
You can hand wash the socks in cold water with mild detergent.
Can I add fabric softener to the wash when washing these wool socks?
It is not recommended to use fabric softener as it can reduce the wool’s ability to absorb moisture and regulate temperature.
Can I tumble-dry these wool socks on low heat?
Yes, you can tumble dry them on low heat, but it is best to lay them flat to dry instead.
Can I bleach these wool socks?
No, bleaching can damage the fibers of the wool and may cause discoloration.