If you’re a fan of watercolors, then you’ll love this easy DIY project! You can create your own watercolor paints using crayons in just a few simple steps.
Watercolor paint with crayons is painting by using crayons as wax-resist and watercolor.
This is a great way to recycle old crayons; the finished product is beautiful and vibrant. Keep reading for step-by-step instructions on how to make watercolor paint with crayons.
Watercolor Paint with Crayons
Crayon Wax-resist Watercolor Art
It is actually a watercolor art, which is painting by using crayons as wax-resist and watercolor.
In this type of painting, the artist uses crayons to draw the picture they want to paint on watercolor paper. After the drawing is complete, watercolors are used to fill in the spaces not covered by the wax from the crayon.
The result is a beautiful and unique painting that has an interesting texture.
How Does It Work?
Crayons are made of wax and are water-resistant. Watercolors are made of color or pigments that dissolve in water, so they don’t stay on the wax. Paper is coated with wax to make it water-resistant.
This type of painting is also sometimes called encaustic wax painting. The basic technique is also similar as making batik.
How to Make Watercolor Paint with Crayons
What You Need
To make watercolor paint with crayons, you will need:
- A bowl
- A spoon
- A paintbrush
The type of crayon you use is important for a good result. Premium quality crayons are more pigmented and last longer. The shape of the crayon affects how it will blend colors and create a smooth, blended look.
How to Paint with Crayon Wax-resist Watercolor
Create your own colors by mixing different colors of crayons together. You can also experiment with blending two colors of crayon wax on the paper to create a new color.
Prepare the paper
- Cover your work surface with newspaper or old sheets.
- Prepare a sheet of watercolor paper as the medium.
- Prepare the design that you want to make.
Draw the design with crayons
- Use crayons to draw the design on the watercolor paper.
- Draw your design on watercolor paper using a white crayon. The white crayon allows you to see the design better and provides a resist for the watercolors.
- You can also use a single color or multiple colors.
- Be sure to press hard with the crayon so that a good amount of wax is deposited on the paper.
- If you want to blend two colors together, you can do this by drawing one color over another.
- After the design is drawn with crayons, it’s time to add the watercolors.
- Dip the paintbrush in water and then add color to the paper.
- You can use the watercolor for filling the spaces in the designs. Or you also use it for the design background.
- The color will spread out and blend with the other colors on the paper.
- You can add more or less water to create different effects.
Let the painting dry
- Once you’re finished adding color, set the painting aside to let it dry.
- You can hang the painting up to dry or place it on a flat surface.
Projects You Can Try
After you’ve mastered the basic technique, there are many different projects you can try.
Can You Microwave Crayons?
Yes, you can microwave crayons. Microwaving crayons can help to melt them down so that they can be used for various purposes, such as creating a crayon-based work of art or for mixing with other colors to create new shades.
What Type of Crayons Melt the Best?
If you’re looking for crayons that melt the best, you’ll want to choose those made of wax. In general, wax crayons melt at lower temperatures than other types of crayons. This means they’ll melt more quickly and evenly when subject to heat.
How Do You Make Watercolor Paint?
You make watercolor paint by combining a pigment with water.
The pigment is usually ground up very finely, and then mixed with enough water to create a thick liquid.
This liquid can be used straight from the bottle, or it can be diluted further with more water to achieve different shades of color.
What Can I Do with Old Crayons?
Here are some fun and creative ideas for what to do with those old, broken crayons taking up space in your drawer:
- Make cute, customized name labels for school supplies or lunches.
- Use them as stocking stuffers or party favors.
- Melts them down to create new, multi-colored crayons.
- Create works of abstract art by dripping and/or drawing with the melted wax.
- Add a pop of color to mundane objects like white shoes or neutral purses.
- Give your car windows a makeover with crayon ” suncatchers.”
- Make pretty votive candles to add ambiance to any room.
How Do You Blend Crayons?
You can blend crayons by using cotton swab.
- Dip the cotton swab in one color, and then use it to apply the color to the paper.
- Soak your cotton swab in rubbing alcohol or baby oil, and then rub it on a cloth or paper towel so that it is not dripping wet.
- After that, using a circular motion, go over the crayon colors you are wanting to blend until you have achieved the desired effect.
What is Watercolor Paper Called?
Watercolor paper is typically called “hot press” or “cold press.”
Hot Press watercolor paper has a smoother surface, and the paint dries faster.
Cold Press watercolor paper has a more textured surface, and the paint dries slower.
What Colors Make White?
According to thecolorwheelcompany.com, “White is created by mixing together the three primary colors: red, blue, and yellow. On a traditional artists’ color wheel, these hues are spaced evenly around the circle.”
Can You Paint with Food Coloring?
Yes, you can paint with food coloring! You can use it to create all sorts of different designs and patterns. Just mix the food coloring with water and then paint away! However, the colors won’t be as vibrant.
How Do You Make Homemade Paint?
You can make homemade paint with just a few simple ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen.
To make paint, you will need white flour, water, food coloring, and vinegar. First, mix the flour and water together to create a paste. Then add food coloring until you reach the desired color. Finally, add vinegar to help the paint dry faster.
How Do You Make Natural Paint?
To make natural paint, you’ll need to gather some ingredients from nature.
- For the base of your paint, you can use things like tree bark, leaves, or flowers. For color, you can use roots, berries, or otherplant partsto make a variety of hues.
- Once you have your materials gathered, you’ll need to grind them into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle or blender.
- Then, add enough water to create a smooth paste.
- Now you’re ready to start painting!
- Experiment with mixing different colors and ratios of ingredients until you get the perfect shade for your project.
What are Three Basic Ingredients in Paint?
There are three main ingredients in paint: pigment, binder, and solvent.
Pigment is what gives paint its color, binder is what holds the pigment together, and solvent is what helps the paint to be spread out and coats the surface it’s applied to.
What is the Healthiest Paint?
The healthiest paint is the kind that doesn’t contain harmful chemicals. There are a few brands out there that make paints without VOCs (volatile organic compounds), and these are the ones you should look for.
Some brands of low-VOC or no-VOC paint include Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, and Behr. These paints are safer for you and your family, and they’re also better for the environment.
What’s the Best Paper for Watercolor?
There’s no definitive answer to this question since different artists have different preferences and techniques.
However, some people recommend using a cold-pressed paper because it’s more absorbent than other types of paper and can hold more pigment without buckling.
Why is My Watercolor Paper Peeling?
Your watercolor paper is peeling because you’re not using enough water. When you apply color to the paper, it soaks into the surface and spreads out.
If there’s not enough water on the paper, the color will dry in place and start to peel off.