Have you ever looked at a shirt and thought it would make a great dress? With a few simple steps, you can turn that shirt into a stylish and unique dress. Here’s how:
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Ribbon or trim (optional)
Step 1: Cut off the sleeves
Using your scissors, cut off the sleeves of the shirt. Be sure to cut as close to the seam as possible.
Step 2: Cut off the collar
Cut off the collar of the shirt. You can either cut it straight across or cut it into a V-neck shape.
Step 3: Pin the sides
Turn the shirt inside out and pin the sides together. Make sure the pins are evenly spaced and the fabric is lying flat.
Step 4: Sew the sides
Using your sewing machine or needle and thread, sew the sides together. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end to secure the seam.
Step 5: Add ribbon or trim (optional)
If you want to add some extra flair to your dress, you can sew ribbon or trim along the neckline or hemline.
Step 6: Hem the bottom (optional)
- An easy and affordable way to make a unique dress
- Can be made in different styles and sizes
- Great way to upcycle an old shirt
- Use a shirt that’s a size or two larger than your normal size to ensure a comfortable fit
- Experiment with different styles of shirts, such as button-down or graphic tees
- Add accessories such as a belt or scarf to complete the look
DIY T-Shirt Dress Ideas
Can I use any type of shirt?
Yes, you can use any type of shirt as long as it’s big enough to fit around your body.
Do I need to be an experienced sewer to make this dress?
No, this dress is easy enough for beginners to make.
How long does it take to make this dress?
It depends on your sewing skills, but it should take no more than a few hours.