It can be frustrating when you find the perfect dress, but it doesn’t fit quite right in the hips. Fortunately, there are several techniques you can use to make a dress bigger in the hips. With a few simple adjustments, you can transform your dress into the perfect fit.
1. Add Panels: One of the easiest ways to make a dress bigger in the hips is to add panels to the side seams. Cut two panels of fabric and sew them to each side of the dress, from the waist down to the hem.
2. Use Inserts: Another option is to use inserts to add extra fabric to the hips. Cut a piece of fabric in a triangular shape and sew it into the side seam of the dress.
3. Use Ruching: Ruching is a technique where you gather fabric to create a decorative effect. You can use this technique to add volume to the hips of your dress. Sew a strip of fabric to the side seam of the dress and gather it to create ruching.
4. Let Out Seams: If your dress has side seams, you can take them out and sew them with a wider seam allowance to make the dress bigger in the hips.
5. Use a Belt: If you don’t want to alter the dress itself, you can use a belt to cinch the waist and create more volume in the hips.
6. Add a Peplum: A peplum is a piece of fabric that is attached to the waist of a dress and flares out over the hips. Adding a peplum to your dress can create the illusion of a more hourglass figure.
7. Use Shirring: Shirring is a technique where you gather fabric using elastic thread. You can use shirring to add volume to the hips of your dress. Sew a strip of fabric to the side seam of the dress and shirr it to create gathers.
8. Use a Slip: If your dress is too tight in the hips, you can wear a slip underneath to create more volume and make the dress fit better.
9. Add Pockets: Pockets can add volume to the hips of your dress and make it more functional. Sew pockets to the side seams of your dress.
10. Use Tiers: Tiers are layers of fabric that are attached to the dress at different heights. Adding tiers to your dress can create more volume in the hips.
Can I make a dress bigger in the hips without sewing?
Yes, you can use shapewear or padded underwear to add volume to the hips of your dress.
Can I use the same techniques to make pants bigger in the hips?
Yes, you can use many of the same techniques to make pants bigger in the hips, such as adding panels, using inserts, or letting out the seams.
Can I make a dress smaller in the hips using these techniques?
Yes, you can use these techniques to make a dress smaller in the hips by using the opposite method, such as taking in the seams or removing fabric.
Is it better to use a professional tailor to make alterations?
It depends on your skill level and the complexity of the alterations. If you are not confident in your sewing abilities, it may be best to take your dress to a professional tailor.
Can I use these techniques on any type of fabric?
It depends on the fabric. Some fabrics are easier to work with than others. It is best to test the techniques on a small section of fabric before making alterations to your dress.
How much will it cost to make alterations to my dress?
The cost of alterations will vary depending on the complexity of the alterations and the location of the tailor. It is best to get a quote from the tailor before making any alterations.
Can I use these techniques on a dress with a zipper?
Yes, you can use these techniques on a dress with a zipper. Simply remove the zipper and sew it back in after making the alterations.
Can I use these techniques on a dress with a lining?
Yes, you can use these techniques on a dress with a lining. Simply make the alterations to the outer fabric and adjust the lining accordingly.
Making a dress bigger in the hips can help you achieve a more comfortable and flattering fit. It can also save you money by allowing you to alter your existing wardrobe instead of buying new clothes.
Before making alterations to your dress, it is important to try it on and determine exactly where the adjustments need to be made. It is also a good idea to practice the techniques on scrap fabric before making changes to your dress.
With a little bit of creativity and some basic sewing skills, you can easily make a dress bigger in the hips. Whether you choose to add panels, use inserts, or create ruching, there are many techniques you can use to achieve the perfect fit.