Framing a door under stairs is one of those projects that many homeowners dread. It’s a project that requires skill and patience. The good news is that framing a door under stairs is easier than you may think. This article will show you how to frame a door under stairways.
- Step 1 – Measure the area where you want to install the door. Make sure you measure the width and height of the opening. Also, check to ensure there is enough room for the door to swing freely.
- Step 2 – Cut the wood into pieces that will fit inside the opening. We recommend cutting each piece at least three inches wider than the opening so that the door will fit tightly against the wall.
- Step 3 – Attach the pieces using screws. First, drill holes in the corners of the door. Then screw the pieces together.
- Step 4 – Sand the edges of the door until smooth.
- Step 5 – Apply a finish to the surface of the door.
- Step 6 – Hang the door.
Can you have a door under the stairs?
Yes! You need to make sure that it’s big enough to fit through.
Can I cut studs under stairs?
Yes, but it’s best to hire a professional. A good contractor will be able to do this safely and efficiently. If you try to do it yourself, you could have damaged walls and floors.
How do you finish the underside of the stairs?
How do you finish the underside of the stairs? It’s a question I get asked quite often. The answer is simple – you just cut off the top half of the stair treads and put them back together again.
This is a quick and easy project that will save you work hours. You need a circular saw, a jigsaw, a drill, and some wood glue.
Step 1: Cut the Stairs
Start by cutting the bottom half of each step at 45 degrees. Make sure you leave enough material so that the steps fit together correctly.
Step 2: Glue the Steps Together
Now comes the fun bit. Please take one of the halves of the step and place it upside down over the other half. Apply wood glue around the edges and press the pieces together firmly. Repeat this process until you’ve glued all the parts together.
Step 3: Drill Holes
Next, take a drill and drill holes into the sides of the stairs. These holes will allow air to circulate underneath the stairs.
Step 4: Sand Down the Edges
Finally, sand the edges smoothly using fine-grit sandpaper. Once the edges are finished, apply another coat of wood glue and let dry.
Can you put a door on a stair landing?
Yes, but it won’t be pretty. It will look like a big hole in the wall with stairs going down through it. The only way to make this work is if there are no steps between the bottom of the landing and the top of the stairs.
If there are any steps, the door needs to be installed above the landing to close off the space below the dock. This means that the doorway needs to be higher than the height of the landing.