Dripless candles have become hugely popular with homeowners and event planners alike, as they provide all the beauty of candlelight without leaving pools of melted wax everywhere. But how do these magical candles work?
Dripless candles are made from harder wax with a higher melting point. So, as the candle burns, the candle only melts near the flame, and the wax is not dripping down the side of the candle and keeps its shape.
Let’s dive into all things dripless candle related!
How Do Dripless Candles Work?
Dripless candles are just like regular ones with a bit of magic added in. They are designed to burn in a way that produces little to no wax residue. Moreover, these candles are crafted so that wax does not spill down the sides as it burns.
So, no more wax drips on your furniture or floors!
What They Are Made Of
Most dripless candles are made from a blend of paraffin wax and beeswax. Some brands might also add other natural waxes to the mix.
And they also contain a tiny amount of stearic acid. This particular ingredient provides your candle the stability it needs to prevent wax from dripping.
How They Work
The magic behind dripless candles is in the wax formula. Dripless candles are made from harder wax with a higher melting point and do not melt at the same temperature as regular wax.
These candles have an impressively thick and even-burning melt pool, keeping the wax from cascading down the sides.
Typically, dripless candles will be formed with one large wick in the middle, and the side walls curved slightly inward to contain any wax that may leak out during burning.
This means they last much longer than regular candles and produce less smoke, making them great for indoor use.
Where Does the Wax Go in Dripless Candles?
As the candle ignites, the wax melts away under its heat. However, since no liquid wax accumulates on the sides of your candle holder or placemat, you can expect a neat and even burn.
That doesn’t mean that they won’t drip indefinitely. Because they are made from real wax, there is always a chance they can drip slightly, especially if they are not positioned sturdily.
Regular Candles vs. Dripless Candles: What’s the Difference?
The main difference between the two is that dripless candles don’t drip, and regular candles do. Another difference is that dripless candles tend to burn more evenly and last longer than traditional candles.
Let’s break it down.
Regular candles, as the name suggests, are your standard, run-of-the-mill candles.
This can be a bit of a bummer if you’re trying to avoid wax drips on your furniture or floors.
On the other hand, Dripless candles are specifically designed to prevent wax from dripping. Crafted with a unique wax blend, these candles boast an even and substantial melt pool.
Dripless candles have a lot of benefits over regular candles! Here are some of the main ones:
- They last longer – Dripless candles can burn up to 100 hours, whereas traditional ones typically last anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.
- They produce less smoke – This makes them perfect for indoor usage since there isn’t as much odor or soot left behind.
- No wax residue – Since dripless candles are designed with special additives that control the rate at which the candle burns, you don’t have to worry about leftover wax on surfaces below your candle.
- Safe for kids and pets – The lack of smoke combined with no dripping wax makes them safe for households with kids and/or animals.
Are all candles dripless?
No, not all candles are dripless.
Why are dripless candles becoming more popular?
Dripless candles are becoming increasingly popular for a few reasons:
- Convenience – Dripless candles are designed to be mess-free and efficient when it comes to burning; no more worrying about wax residue or smoke!
- Long-lasting – With a burn time of up to 100 hours, they last much longer than traditional candles, which typically last anywhere from 6 to 12 hours.
- Safety – The lack of smoke combined with no dripping wax makes them safe for households with kids and/or animals.
- Aesthetics – They come in various styles and sizes, so you can find one that fits your décor perfectly.
How can you make a traditional candle into a dripless candle?
You can make a traditional candle into a dripless candle by using special additives that control the rate at which the candle burns. These additives are added to the wax and wick, reducing smoke production and preventing dripping.
In addition, you’ll need to trim your wick to ensure an even burn and avoid any dripping. You can also use a unique clip or shield to prevent wax from dripping onto surfaces below your candle.