What are Fabric Jelly Rolls? (3 things you should know)
If you are a quilter or a sewing enthusiast, you might have heard of fabric jelly rolls. But if you are new to the world of quilting and sewing, you might be wondering what they are. Here are three things you should know about fabric jelly rolls:
Firstly, fabric jelly rolls are pre-cut strips of fabric that are 2.5 inches wide and the width of a bolt of fabric long, which is usually around 44 inches. They are called jelly rolls because they are rolled up like a jelly roll cake. A typical jelly roll package contains around 40 strips of fabric, but the number of strips and the fabric patterns included may vary depending on the manufacturer.
At first glance, fabric jelly rolls are pre-cut strips of fabric that measure 2.5 inches wide and the length of a fabric bolt. In other words, they look like a jelly roll cake when they are rolled up! Generally, a standard jelly roll package contains 40 strips of fabric, though the amount and prints can differ based on the producer.
Secondly, jelly rolls are a great solution for quilters who want to add a diverse selection of fabrics to their projects without breaking the bank. They are super convenient and save time, since you don’t have to cut the fabric strips yourself.
Popular Brands of Fabric Jelly Rolls
There are many brands of fabric jelly rolls available on the market today. Here are five of the most popular:
- Moda Fabrics Jelly Rolls: Moda Fabrics is one of the most well-known brands of jelly rolls. Their jelly rolls are made up of 2.5 inch strips of fabric, and each roll contains around 40 strips. Moda Fabrics offers a wide range of colors and patterns, so there is something for everyone.
- Robert Kaufman Roll Ups: Robert Kaufman is another popular brand of jelly rolls. Their roll ups are made up of 2.5 inch strips of fabric, and each roll contains around 40 strips. Robert Kaufman offers a variety of colors and patterns, including some designed by well-known fabric designers.
- Riley Blake Designs Jelly Rolls: Riley Blake Designs is known for their high-quality fabrics, and their jelly rolls are no exception. Each roll contains around 40 strips of 2.5 inch fabric, and they come in a variety of colors and patterns.
- Hoffman Fabrics Jelly Rolls: Hoffman Fabrics is a well-respected brand in the world of quilting, and their jelly rolls are no exception. Each roll contains around 40 strips of 2.5 inch fabric, and they come in a variety of colors and patterns.
- Benartex Precuts: Benartex is a popular brand among quilters, and their precuts include jelly rolls. Each roll contains around 40 strips of 2.5 inch fabric, and they come in a variety of colors and patterns.
Benefits of Using Fabric Jelly Rolls
Here are three reasons why you should consider using jelly rolls for your next quilting project:
- Time-Saving: One of the biggest advantages of using jelly rolls is that they save time. Because the strips are already cut to size, you don’t have to spend hours measuring and cutting fabric. This means you can spend more time sewing and less time preparing your materials. According to Stitchin Heaven, jelly rolls can cut your cutting time by up to 90%!
- Coordination: Another advantage of using jelly rolls is that the fabrics are already coordinated for you. All the strips in a jelly roll come from the same collection, so you don’t have to worry about mixing and matching colors and patterns. This makes it easy for beginners to create beautiful quilts without the stress of selecting fabrics. As The Quilt Show notes, jelly rolls are great for quilters who want a piece of each fabric in a collection.
- Versatility: Jelly rolls are not just for quilts! You can use them for a variety of sewing projects, including bags, table runners, and even clothing. Because the strips come in a variety of colors and prints, you can create unique and eye-catching designs. As Sarah Maker points out, jelly rolls are a great way to add variety to your sewing projects.
If you’re looking for a way to save time, coordinate your fabrics, and add versatility to your sewing projects, then consider using fabric jelly rolls. With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why jelly rolls are a popular choice among quilters.
How to Use Fabric Jelly Rolls? (Easy step by step)
Here is a step by step guide on how to use fabric jelly rolls:
Step 1: Choose Your Fabric Jelly Roll
There are many different types of fabric jelly rolls available, so choose one that suits your project. Look for rolls that contain fabrics that complement each other in color and design.
Step 2: Unroll the Fabric Jelly Roll
Unroll the fabric jelly roll and lay out the strips in the order you want to use them. This will make it easier to keep track of which strip comes next.
Step 3: Cut the Strips to Size
Trim the strips to suit your project. You can either reduce them in size or utilize them as they are.
Step 4: Sew the Strips Together
Sew the strips together using a sewing machine or by hand. You can sew them together in a straight line, or you can sew them together in a pattern to create a more complex design.
Step 5: Press the Seams
Once you have connected the strips, take a hot iron and press the seams down firmly. This will make it easier to attach the subsequent strips.
Step 6: Repeat the Process
Give it a try and repeat the sewing and ironing of the strips until you reach the desired size and shape of your craft!
By following these easy steps, you can create beautiful quilts and other sewing projects using fabric jelly rolls.
Fabric Jelly Rolls in Amazon.com
You might want to check out these three, highly rated fabric jelly rolls on Amazon.com!
1. Vintage Floral Miniatures Collection
This Amazon’s Choice collection of 40 2.5-inch quilting fabric strips has a vintage floral theme and is ideal for crafting a timeless and graceful look. With a 4.7-star rating, these strips have been highly rated, and at just $19.99 they make for a great deal – plus orders over $25 get free delivery!
2. Solid Color Cotton Jelly Fabric Patchwork Roll
This stunning collection of forty 2.55 inch wide cotton fabric strips is just the thing to bring a modern, minimalist flair to your quilting creations! Rated 4.5 stars on Amazon.com, this set is a go-to choice for quilters, and it’s priced at an amazing $15.99.
3. Brown Tan Jelly Roll
This set of 40 brown and tan fabric strips offers a warm, rustic feel for your quilting projects. Rated 4.7 stars on Amazon.com, this top-rated product is a great value at $27.89. Crafted with high-quality cotton, these fabric strips are a great way to make cozy quilts.