Cordura fabric is a popular material used in many different applications, including outdoor gear, military apparel, and even fashion items.
However, if you’ve ever owned a piece of clothing or gear made from Cordura, you may be wondering if this durable material can shrink over time.
- Yes, Cordura fabric can shrink if exposed to high heat or washed improperly.
- However, Cordura is designed to be highly resistant to shrinking, so it may not shrink as much as other fabrics.
- The amount of shrinkage will depend on the specific type of Cordura fabric and the care instructions you follow.
There are several reasons why Cordura fabric may shrink:
- Excessive heat: High temperatures can cause Cordura to shrink, so it’s important to avoid exposing it to high heat sources such as the dryer or iron.
- Improper washing: Washing Cordura in hot water or using harsh detergents can also cause it to shrink.
- Fabric blend: Some Cordura fabrics may contain other materials such as cotton or polyester, which are more prone to shrinking.
To prevent Cordura fabric from shrinking, follow these tips:
- Wash in cold water: Always wash Cordura in cold water to avoid exposing it to high temperatures.
- Use a gentle detergent: Choose a gentle detergent that is designed for delicate fabrics.
- Line dry: Avoid using the dryer and instead hang Cordura items to dry on a clothesline or drying rack.
- Do not iron: Cordura does not need to be ironed, and doing so can cause it to shrink.
If you do accidentally shrink a piece of Cordura fabric, here’s what you can do:
- Stretch it out: Gently stretching the fabric while it’s damp can help to restore its original size.
- Soak in fabric softener: Adding fabric softener to a bucket of cold water and soaking the item for a few hours can also help to restore its size.
- Take it to a professional: If you’re unsure how to fix a piece of shrunken Cordura fabric, take it to a professional tailor or cleaner who has experience working with this material.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you put Cordura fabric in the dryer?
It’s not recommended to put Cordura fabric in the dryer, as high heat can cause it to shrink.
What is Cordura fabric made of?
Cordura fabric is typically made from nylon or polyester.
Is Cordura fabric waterproof?
Cordura fabric is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant and can provide some protection against moisture.
- How to care for outdoor gear
- The benefits of using Cordura fabric
- How to repair ripped Cordura fabric